If you floss every day, good for you! Flossing is the best way to clean between your teeth and around your gums, and it’s important to exercise a proper technique. If you are concerned about the efficacy of your flossing, Dr. Christina Sehy VerSchave offers five tips to help you improve your oral health.
- Use a dentist-recommended floss. Choose a dental floss that has the ADA’s Seal of Acceptance on the package. There are many types of floss to choose from, and you can choose an option that fits your smile, such as flavored floss and floss for sensitive gums. You are welcome to ask Dr. Christina Sehy VerSchave for recommendations as well.
- Make sure your floss is the proper length. Use a piece of floss about 18 inches long so that you can avoid spreading debris between teeth by using a new section of floss for each tooth.
- Floss with a proper technique. Slide the floss up and down between each tooth using steady motions. Remember to be gentle to remove debris and avoid grinding your teeth away.
- Floss for the right amount of time. Each session should last about 2 to 3 minutes, working every area around and between each tooth. This includes behind the back row of your teeth.
- Give yourself the support you need. Committing to flossing every day can be hard, but you can make it easier and even fun! Write yourself a reminder and try listening to one of your favorite songs while flossing. Regular dental visits are also helpful to evaluate the progress of your oral health habits.
No matter what your smile needs, Belmar Smiles can help you. We invite you to schedule a visit with our dentist at 303-935-3574 if you would like to learn more about effective flossing in Lakewood, Colorado.